Friday, January 10, 2014

Second Cataract Surgery is a No-Go For Today

Yesterday there was a chemical leak into the Elk River just above the intakes for West Virginia American Water.  They take the water and run it thru a treatment plant and then it is sent out thru all the pipes to people in an eight county area.  They still don't know how much chemical got into the water but it has a sweet, licorice-type smell, and we can smell it in the air outside.  It has been declared a Federal Disaster Area and we cannot use the tap water for anything except fire protection and flushing toilets.  We were even told to throw out the ice from our icemakers.  Richard and I didn't have any bottled water here in the house but decided we could drink tea (made the day before) and Diet Pepsi, always my drink of choice.  But we couldn't brush our teeth or take a shower.  Last night my daughter called and her husband (who works a meat cutter in a grocery store) said his store was getting a truck-load of water and did we want some.  Heck yes we want some!  He brought us a box with six gallons in it and I immediately brushed my teeth.  Still no shower though.  From now on I am going to keep some water on hand.  You never know when something like this will happen and it is best to be prepared.  As to my second cataract surgery - I got a call from the hospital at 11pm last night to tell me it was cancelled due to the water problem.  I don't know when it will be rescheduled.  I hear they are bringing in water in trucks called "water buffaloes" and I intend to get enough to clean up!

No comments:

Post a Comment